professional photographers

Professional Photographers at Rhode Island State Parks

You will need a Professional Photography Permit if you are charging for your services, which constitutes “doing business” in state parks.  Any photo shoot that has more than 15 people, uses props, or in any way interferes with normal park activities will require a Special Use Permit in addition to a Professional Photography Permit.
Rhode Island State Parks has a carry in-carry out policy, which means there are no trash cans for general use.  Photographers are responsible for leaving the area clean.  Moving or changing any natural or physical elements of the park is prohibited.  Props should be limited to handheld items. 
If you’re not a professional photographer and you’re not charging for your services, you do not need a Professional Photography Permit for groups of 15 or less, as long as you remain in general use areas and do not infringe on the ability of other patrons to enjoy the park and recreate in general use areas.  If you want to take photos at a reservable site, you need to rent and pay for the site from the park office in advance, regardless of whether you are a professional or hobbyist.
You can find contact information for all RI State Parks on our website,
Photographers hired for events that require a Special Use Permit from RI State Parks (e.g., wedding, fundraiser), are not required to obtain their own permit, as long as the event organizer indicates that there will be a photographer on site, and they take full responsibility for the activity, on their Special Use Permit application. 
Annual Professional Photography Permits are $100 or you can apply for a One-Day Small Business Special Use Permit for $25.  Applications for One-Day Special Use Permits must be submitted AT LEAST 30 days in advance of your intended use of our property, so plan ahead!  In both cases, you will need to complete an online application and provide the required insurance. 
Approved Professional Photographers 
For a list of approved Professional Photographers go to the RI Parks Events & Rentals-Special Use Policy & Permits Page
How to Apply for an Annual Professional Photography Permit
Permits are active for one year from the date of approval, as long as the Certificate of Insurance (COI) that we have on file for your business remains up to date. 
1. Create your Community Profile with login and password.  Once you're logged in, you can proceed.  Every time you use the site, start by logging in.
2. Go the Photographers Membership Page and click "Enroll."  Complete the profile form. 
3. You will need to submit a Certificate of Insurance (COI).  Email Insurance Certificates to Erin Rogers at  Please see below for insurance requirements.
4. Once your insurance is approved, you will receive a $100 invoice for administrative processing costs, and an email from RI State Parks, when your permit has been approved.  
UPDATE!  We are currently in the process of switching credit card processing companies.  Until further notice, all payments for Annual Professional Photography Permits must be made by check.  
Please make checks out to the State of Rhode Island and mail them to: RI/DEM, 1100 Tower Hill Road, North Kingstown, RI 02852.  The name of your business and the invoice number should be noted in the memo line of your check. 
Once your permit has been issued, you will be listed on our website as an Approved Professional Photography Vendor.
The Description of Operations on your insurance MUST indicateThe State of Rhode Island Department of Environmental Management is named as additionally insured on a primary and non-contributory basis and subrogation is waived for the additional insured.
The Certificate Holder on your insurance MUST read:  The State of Rhode Island Department of Environmental Management, 235 Promenade St., Providence, RI 02908
If you have any questions, contact RI State Parks at 401-667-6200, or email