Special Use Permits
- Login using your username and password.
- From any page, scroll to the top of the website, click on the "Facilities" tab in the blue ribbon, and select All Event Requests.
- Click on the green RESERVE button. This brings you to a calendar. Find the date associated with your request, and click the green RESERVE button on that date. (Note that applications must be for events that are at least 30 days in advance. If your event is on multiple days, select the first day, and provide details in the special use application.)
- Enter a brief description of use (e.g., 5K Run) and the approximate number of people expected.
- Click the down arrow next to "One Day Reservation - 7 am - 6 pm," click the green + button, and click the blue ADD TO CART button.
- You will not need to pay any upfront fees.
- Click the blue GO TO CHECKOUT button on the bottom right.
- Check the blue I ACCEPT WAIVER button.
- Click the blue COMPLETE FORM button. This takes you to the Special Use Application. Complete the form, sign and submit.
- After we have reviewed your form, Parks Headquarters will be in touch to let you know if we can approve it and any expenses that may be associated with your event.
- Art displays or exhibits
- Athletic events, competitions, races or regattas
- Clean ups (shoreline or other property type)
- Company picnics for more than 50 people
- Conferences or training events
- Daycare or summer camp visits
- Drone use (approval is restricted to commercial use - no private use permitted)
- Exercises classes (commercial)
- Film, video or photography shoots (small scale, large scale, non-commercial and student-based)
- Fireworks displays
- Fundraising events (Walkathons, races, small festivals, family fun days, etc.)
- Equestrian competitions, shows or gatherings
- Motorcycle charity runs or stopovers
- Outreach or education displays or tents
- Press conferences
- Private parties for more than 50 people (not contained to a specific site rental such as a pavilion or field)
- Radio station broadcasts
- Religious ceremonies
- School field days, picnics or field trips
- Scientific research or surveys
- Volunteer maintenance projects (scouts, schools, groups or organizations)
Some Special Use/Large Group events may require a license approved by the Rhode Island State Properties Committee (RISPC). This process can take up to 90 days, so please plan accordingly. See http://www.statepropertiescommittee.ri.gov/ for more information.
You will need a License Agreement if your event involves:
- Commercial Use: If a person, group or organization is making or attempting to make a profit or offers for sale any service or product or charges a fee on DEM property.
- Alcohol: Any event or activity that proposes the consumption, possession, distribution, selling or drinking of alcoholic beverages.
- High Risk: Events such as fireworks/pyrotechnics; concerts/festivals with staging, special equipment, or carnival rides; large scale races, regattas, or competitions; any use that requires construction of structures and/or equipment to move or install any feature.
- High Impact: The event or activity that exceeds normal use of the facility and/or interrupts the normal public use of the park due to scope or size of the event; large number of attendees; large-scale promotion (media and social); events of regional, national or global scale.