Custom Picnics at Rhode Island State Parks
Picnic Companies interested in providing custom picnics within RI State Parks must become an approved vendor.  Registering to become an approved vendor does not guarantee that you will be approved
Approved picnic companies remain on the RI State Parks list of approved vendors from the first to the last day of the year (1/1/2024-12/31/2024), as long as the Certificate of Insurance (COI) that the Department has on file for your company remains up to date.   
Approved picnic companies must contact the Regional Manager of the location they are interested in servicing, before making final arrangements with their customers (at least 5 days in advance of the event day), to ensure the location is suitable, reserve a site (if required), and to receive any guidance or information.  Contact information for all RI State Parks can be found at RIParks.ri.gov.
Attendance at picnics is limited to no more than 25 people.  Picnic Businesses must provide a receptacle for the exclusive use of their customers.  
Picnic Businesses are responsible for the setup, breakdown and complete removal of all items immediately after the event!  
If customers take any items to another location in the park after the conclusion of their event, we ask they be reminded to please help keep our parks clean and take their trash home with them. 
Rhode Island State Parks has a carry in-carry out policy, which means there are no trash cans for general use.   
Alcohol and cannabis-based products are prohibited on RI State Park properties, with the exception of specific locations, and through a license agreement, approved by the Rhode Island State Properties Committee
Fort Adams State Park does not host this type of activity due to the significant number of events taking place at this park throughout the year.  
Lincoln Woods State Park requires you or your customer to reserve a site for this type of activity.
Picnics that exceed 25 people or are combined with any other activities or events, may require a Special Use Permit.  
You must receive prior approval from the Regional Park Manager in order to apply for a Special Use Permit.  Special Use Permit applications must be submitted online at least 30 days in advance of your intended use. 
Events that require a Special Use Permit typically require you to provide a COI that meets the requirements set by RI DEM Division of Legal Services. 
If you have questions, contact RI State Parks at 401-667-6200, or email erin.rogers@dem.ri.gov.
RI State Parks Approved Picnic Businesses
For a list of approved Picnic Businesses go to the RI Parks Events & Rentals-Special Use Policy & Permits Page
How To Apply To Become An Approved Picnic Company 
1. Create your Community Profile with login and password.  Once you're logged in, you can proceed.  Every time you use the site, start by logging in. 
2. Go the Picnic Business Membership Page and click "Enroll." Complete the profile form. 
3. Submit your Certificate of Insurance (COI).  Email insurance certificates to Erin Rogers at erin.rogers@dem.ri.gov*See below for insurance requirements. 
4. Once your insurance is approved, you will be listed on our website as an Approved Picnic Company Vendor.
Certificate of Insurance Requirements:
  • Your COI must indicate that the "State of Rhode Island Department of Environmental Management is additionally insured on a primary and non-contributory basis".
  • Your COI must indicate a "waiver of subrogation"
  • The Certificate Holder on your insurance must be the "State of Rhode Island Department of Environmental Management, 235 Promenade Street, Providence, RI 02908".
If you have any questions, contact RI State Parks at 401-667-6200, or email erin.rogers@dem.ri.gov